When you’re preparing for your university interview it’s natural to concentrate on the big questions, where you’ll be asked about your previous experiences and how they prove you’ll be a good fit for both the course and the career of a midwife.
However, an area that it’s easy to overlook is your knowledge of the actual university you’re applying for. The admissions panel will be expecting you to have done your homework a little bit here.
Don’t worry – they’re not expecting you to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of their university and its history! But with a bit of research online you can easily find out relevant facts and information both about the course and the university you want to study at.
What might they ask?
From our recent interview feedback the most common questions asked about the course were:
- What areas of the course particularly interest you?
- Do you have any questions about any areas of the course?
- What do you understand by the 50% split in the course of theory and practice?
Questions about the university that were asked included:
- Did you attend one of our University Open Days?
- Why do you want to study at our university?
- How do you think you’ll fit in at our university?
While there is no ‘wrong’ answer here it might be sensible to highlight things such as:
- Any aspects of the facilities that particularly appeal to you, such as modern teaching facilities and equipment.
- What you like about the university’s values and mission statement.
- Things that attract you to studying there – for example they may have links with an institution you’d be keen to get placement experience in.
It’s a good idea to have a few questions prepared about the university and course as this will help to show your interest.
They don’t need to be too complicated, but try to think of something that wouldn’t be too easy to find out online either!
What should I research?
As we’ve mentioned a good place to start is by looking at the unique benefits the university will offer you as a midwifery student.
The admissions team will be looking for evidence that you’re committed to study and able to see the course through. Therefore, knowledge of what will be expected of you as a student regarding class hours, home study and placements would be helpful.
Where can I find this information?
Our blog is a great place to start!
Check out our articles on student life which will help give you an idea of what to expect.
Our recent blog articles also give up to the minute information on what’s happening in the midwifery world.
The university’s website is an obvious place – you’ll be able to find out key facts about the university and course, and the benefits to you of studying there. Many universities also have a blog area on their site where you can find out helpful information (and hints and tips from other students).